Ay Caramba! It's hot hot hot! Seeking relief from the heat, Jong and I decided to have an impromptu date at the Glenburn Soda Fountain and Confectionary. Unique in Vancouver, this Old Fashioned Malt Shop serves decadent sodas, sundaes, malts, egg creams and floats made with Birchwood Dairy ice cream, handmade artisan Pie Hole pies, Pop Shoppe pop, and Avalon Dairy milk. Can't handle all the milk? They always make sure there's a dairy-free treat on feature just for you.
We were tempted by the newly added menu options of Banoffee Splits, and Cherry Pie Sundaes! There was so much good stuff to choose from it can be overwhelming.
John had a Chocolate Chip Mint Sundae with Hot Fudge sauce, Whipped Cream and Nuts. I had the Sundae Sampler which included three flavours of ice cream with three types of sauces. It was delicious but sooo filling!
Reasons why it's worth the trip:
- Nostalgia. The shop is simply decorated with vintage equipment, glassware, and fixtures.
- It's excessively fun to sit on the bar stools and dig into a sundae.
- Browse their curated stock of craft syrups.
- Fill a bag of 10 cent old fashioned candies.
- To just savor the creamiest ice cream reminiscent of a more wholesome time.
The prices are reasonable and the staff polite. This was a great experience that you'll enjoy with a friend, kids, or a sweetheart with a sweet tooth.